Saturday, February 7, 2015

Miss Winsome and the Scientific Society - a steampunk dime store novel

Weekend Writing Warriors #8sunday  

     "I arrived yesterday and was sadly informed about your train delay. I was looking forward to having dinner with you and your uncle. He is quite an interesting gentleman," said Lord Aselbury.
     "I enjoyed his company," said Miss Winsome as she returned her attention out the window. Below, she spotted pools of sapphire blue. "Ohh, that is blue."  
     Lord Aselbury handed her a pair of brass opera glasses. "I thought these might be quite useful on the air ship. I'll will make a note to tell the captain that several pair on board would be quite handy, don't you quite agree." 
     Miss Winsome took the glasses and thought that his use of quite had already become tiring. Looking through the glasses at the the sapphire blue pool. She exclaimed, in mockery, "The color is quite remarkable of those quite intriguing pools."  
     It didn't come off as well as she planned but Miss Randolph snickered behind her. Lord Aselbury was not impeded whatsoever.

13 comments:

  1. You've done a good job of writing atmosphere, Alice. And your character building is wonderful. :-) Love the over-use of quite!

    Now I have to put on my moderator hat. You've gone well over 8 sentences, so I'll have to ask you to stick to 8. We try to keep it fair for everyone. I know, I get anxious about sharing scenes sometimes, and wish i could post more, but if I did...if we all did, it would take forever and then we wouldn't get to visit very many of the participants. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, I meant to have it start at the Lard Aselbury paragraph. I'll be more careful next Sunday.

      Delete
  2. Pay attention to Teresa, Alice. She quite knows what's what's.
    Amusing snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 'quite' enjoyed this excerpt! You did a great job setting the mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the hint of stilted awkwardness about this entire exchange. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charming and funny! I love her name. Miss Winsome is perfect for a steampunk novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I was to type this with a right proper British accent. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous snippet. Now I want a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good character interactions. You can see that just being in the same room is going to lead them to trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super excerpt. I too imagined a proper British accent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hee, this was a very cute interaction. Especially since one of my characters tends to overuse "quite" quite often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice exchange and show of both characters. I quite like Miss Winsome's sassy humor.

    ReplyDelete