Monday, October 6, 2014

Primordial Soup ingredient: Travel and Steampunk



Capital Building in Victoria

My recent trip to Victoria, Canada and writing plans for the upcoming Nanowrimo has really put my head into Steampunk. When I first discovered this genre, I just couldn't believe that I had been missing out on something so excitedly fun. I went to my library looking to read Steampunk novels, and only found one collection of books within this genre. And what a collection - The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger. I was hooked.


Looking at the movies and other books that were my favorites, I discovered that I liked Steampunk before I knew the labeling -timetravel, mechanical machines, Victorian era, Edgar Allen Poe, Sherlock Holmes, and HG Wells. I also discovered it is hard to pinpoint exactly what is Steampunk and there are sub genres within this genre. I’ll I know is that it is a very creative fantasy/sci-fi genre that is an inclusive world of history, manners, and imagination. There are books, movies, music, gatherings, and tea dueling. And, I do not feel that I have come too late in discovering the Steampunk world because it is populated by a wide range of ages.


I am editing a Steampunk fairy tale and for this Nanowrimo, I will be writing a set of three Steampunk novellas set in Yellowstone National Park. I have been reading history for these novellas about park rangers, Theodore Roosevelt, and Yellowstone.

During my visit to Victoria and my head full of turn-of-the-century history, I couldn’t help but see Victoria as the perfect place for Steampunk adventures. It is a lovely city with a Victorian historic hotel, a small china town area, waterfront with boat taxies, and brewpubs in historic buildings. It was a great place to let my imagination run wild and to fuel me for the next busy month of writing.

With renewed energy of a fabulous visit to Victoria, BC, historical research, and Steampunk fuel imagination, I am excited about the busy fall months of writing and holidays.

Water Taxi ride

No comments:

Post a Comment