Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Experience: A Primordial Soup Ingredient









This weekend, I bicycled from the east gate of Yellowstone National Park to Buffalo Bill Reservoir. It was about 45miles and was for a charity annual bicycle ride called Wild Horse Century. Riding my bicycle down a road I've driven dozens of times was a new experience on several levels. On one level , I feared riding where I could encounter buffalo or grizzle bears. On another level, I relished seeing a scenic highway at a slower pace.


Below is a post I made on a forum that pertains to experience.
I think it’s interesting when writers say-I don't read this genre because it’s not what I write; or-I don't read that genre because I don't like it. When I was studying and painting art, I couldn't imagine saying - I don't look, read, or learn about that artist because it’s not what I paint.

I have read something in a lot of genres. I would critique almost any genre because storytelling does have basic common elements that you can address. I do understand not wanting to read horror because it gives you nightmares or erotica because it bothers your Puritan sensibilities. There are classic and well written examples of these genres - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and Little Birds by Anais Nin.

“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.”
― Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath

The Sylvia Plath quote sums gathering experiences up poetically though she ends it with a sad line, ‘And I am horribly limited.’ I think she was saying her life was limited in that she had to keep a house and take care of her children instead of experiencing life. I would argue there is a world of experienced in such a life. Also, imagine the experiences one can feel, think, and be a part of in reading a variety of books in a variety of genres.

If I critique, read, or write in a genre I am not familiar and is not my favorite, then I have read the books I never imagined I wanted to read; I experience the people I might want to meet and lived the lives there are possible to live; and lived and felt all the shades of life. Books are an incredible way to inexperience life and enrich one’s writing craft. Why limited yourself to one type of experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment